Las Vegas, Nevada
The Westside School campus was an important educational institution in the predominantly African American Westside neighborhood in Las Vegas. The two buildings on campus, a 1923 school designed by Allison & Allison and a 1948 annex both served as a community center for the neighborhood until the school’s closure in 1967 and contribute to the property’s listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
Working with KME Architects, Chattel implemented the Historic Westside School Master Plan for the five-acre site, developed in collaboration with community stakeholders. Chattel and KME Architects designed a rehabilitation program in conformance with the Secretary’s Standards that incorporates retail spaces, offices, a restaurant, the KCEP local radio station, and community meeting space. Chattel prepared a federal rehabilitation Investment Tax Credit application and Parts 1 and 2 of the application were approved by the National Park Service in September 2013. Chattel also amended the campus’ National Register of Historic Places designation to include the 1948 annex.
Far East Cafe Building
Los Angeles, California
Working with non-profit developer Little Tokyo Service Center Development Corporation, Chattel prepared the Historic Preservation Certification Application for the Far East Café Building located in the Little Tokyo Historic District in Los Angeles. The rehabilitation project involved conversion of the National Historic Landmark district contributor, three-story commercial building, single-story connector and rear building into restaurant, institutional, and senior housing uses. The $3.7 million project used historic and low-income housing tax credits.
The unreinforced masonry building was constructed in 1894 and had been vacant since the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. To reuse the residential portion of the building, necessary modifications included addition of a new elevator and stair tower, which provided a means of egress in addition to seismic support. The residential component was limited to upper floors, with units and corridors facing a monumental, Eastlake-influenced stairwell and large skylight. Over five years, Chattel provided design review and construction monitoring.
The completed project includes a new “Chop Suey” restaurant (with blade sign), community senior computer center and 16 apartments for low-income senior housing use. The project received design and reuse awards and was also featured on Home and Gardens Television’s (HGTV) “Restore America.”
Los Angeles, California
The Boyle Hotel/Cummings Block is the last remaining commercial building from the early development of Boyle Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles in the 1880s. When the Boyle Hotel was constructed in 1889, it reflected expansion and growth outside the commercial core in Los Angeles. The building represents the end of the nineteenth century transition from a town surrounded by farmland to a burgeoning city center surrounded by suburban neighborhoods.
Over the years, the Boyle Hotel became home to mariachi musicians, who congregate daily in nearby Mariachi Plaza waiting to be hired. It became an important gathering place in Boyle Heights for these musicians, as well as for other social and civic events. Once the grandest building in the neighborhood, by 2006 the hotel had fallen into disrepair after years of neglect and was at risk of being demolished.
In 2012, the Boyle Hotel was rehabilitated and expanded to include a new residential addition at the west side of the historic building on the site of a former surface parking lot. The project has kitchens and bathrooms in each unit and historic fabric has been preserved while safety codes and seismic retrofits have been implemented. On the exterior, historic photographs were used as a guide to restore the building’s iconic corner cupola with conical cap, brick façade, and storefronts.
As historic preservation consultant for the Boyle Hotel, Chattel collaborated with non-profit developer East Los Angeles Community Corporation and architect Richard Barron to ensure rehabilitation plans conformed with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. Chattel prepared a successful Historic Preservation Certification Application and a National Register of Historic Places nomination. Rehabilitation costs of $7.6 million and new construction costs of $13.3 million were subsidized by a combination of historic and low-income housing tax credits.